Friday, May 16, 2008

Super Intelligent


So I’m always wondering why Clark Kent isn’t super intelligent. I mean he’s not stupid, but I feel like with his abilities, he’d hardly be in any way of ordinary intelligence. Regular Joes like me can only read so fast. The human eye focuses on one spot then another, then another etc. Some people get pretty expert and speedy, but cannot hope to read even a tiny fraction of all human kind’s published knowledge. Superman though, can see bullets and is dexterous at super speeds, so I think he should be at least able to read way faster than the fastest human. Way being in metric and at least as fast as Johnny-5 from Short Circuit. Maybe it’s cause he was raised in Kansas. They don’t seem to be known for their book learnin’ there, or maybe he was just always busy on the farm. I often find myself wishing I’d learned to fix a tractor instead of reading Great Expectations. And really, it might be a good thing that Clark didn’t become super intelligent. I know that the more books and information I take in, the more depressed and disillusioned I get. Then again, maybe Clark has read every book and exhausted the resources at the Fortress of Solitude thus transcending philosophical query. This could explain why he is able to hold such conviction, be the judge of right and wrong and devote himself to preserving life and the greater good. Well…that’s maybe too optimistic. That is to believe that the end result of accumulation of knowledge has positive repercussions.

Then I wonder why I’m always wondering about fiction.

No comments: